UPDATE: Jetpack plugin now includes this capability so I no longer use this plugin (although I still love Mailchimp).
I originally could not get this to work, so I posted to the WordPress forum seeking help… then I figured it out. Since then others have had the same issue. So I wrote a “how to”. You should have already created a list and placed the sign up form somewhere.
You may not need to go through all this if you set the template within WordPress in the autoChimp settings to “Post to Blast Custom” then send your first post over. You should see this new template in MailChimp and you can modify the design through the MailChimp interface.
- Open mail Chimp
- In the left sidebar choose Campaigns
- Top right, choose My Templates
- Top right: Create Template
- Top right, Code your own, choose Code a template.
- Save your template.
- Notice the view options Code and Design options at the very bottom. Go into the design to set up the look and feel as you want.
- To get back into code view, hit the arrow under the screen-shot thumbnail of your Template screen. Edit Code.
- On line 392 or so you will see the body content you modified in the editor. Replace that whole thing from opening div to closing div with:
<div mc:edit="header"><h1>*|MC:SUBJECT|*</h1></div> <div mc:edit="main">Main</div>
- Save your template. Note: The above *|MC:SUBJECT|* will repeat the subject as the header of the email inside the body. You can remove that line if you want.
- Go back to WordPress and go to the settings for AutoChimp. You should now see your template in the drop down list. You may want to create a test list in mail chimp while you are getting things set up. Set it to send an email once it’s published AND remove the last check so that it will send an email each time you hit publish, this is easiest for development. I did not have things work with the excerpt option on…
- Do a test send. See if it worked. To get back into code view of your template go to Campaigns > My Templates> (Down arrow) Edit Code.
- If all is well, then reset your Auto chimp to its final send settings (out of test mode). And you are good to go.