Welcome to GCOM 361 — Beginning Creative Web Design
Heather Hogan, Adjunct Professor
Prerequisite: GCOM 360 with a grade of “C” or better
Description: Students will explore a range of approaches to designing for the World Wide Web, while being introduced to an industry-standard Web authoring tool. Through a series of incremental assignments, students will explore fundamental Web design concepts within a non-static, non-linear environment, culminating in the development of a live and functioning website. Additionally, this course provides an overview of standards-compliant HTML and CSS, techniques for adding interactivity, accessibility, and support in preparing graphics for Web use and for prototyping site designs.
There is no required textbook.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- design a website that caters to a specific audience, is accessible, and is standards-compliant.
- employ flow chart organization and intuitive navigation.
- organize a flow chart and story board for the website with a logical order of pages and information.
- create a visual theme based on a targeted audience.
- apply software functions for specific needs of a website.